Zane is an energetic and active young man who lives with autism. Zane and his family came to CARS looking for something more… more flexibility, more individually focused activities and more fun things to explore so he could continue to build his passions and interests.
Zane had been in a fixed program before CARS which saw him spending four nights a week away from home. This wasn’t working for Zane and his family. They needed a program that really took into account his needs, strengths and goals.
Zane’s mum, Hayley, worked closely with CARS to develop a program that enabled Zane to explore new possibilities, learn new skills and participate in his local community.
Zane has experienced many positive changes over the past year and has grown in confidence. He is happy to take on new challenges and try new activities.
With CARS’ help in identifying and coordinating opportunities, Zane has become an achiever. Some of his recent pursuits include:
- Working with a personal trainer each week to improve his fitness, coordination and motor skills
- Attending (and loving) music therapy weekly
- Completing the Happy Paws, Happy Hearts program at Wacol RSPCA, which allowed him to further explore his passion for working with animals
- Playing Special Olympics basketball fortnightly
- Completing the Noosa Triathlon with his school in 2016 (pictured)
- Staying overnight at Bribie Island in a caravan park
- Trying paddle-boarding for the first time.